Thursday, August 07, 2008

"IT'S ALL IN THE WAY THAT YOU LOOK...at yourself"


Growing up....



  • - "little piggie"...


  • - "sneaky eater"...


  • - "could be so pretty if... I lost some weight"...


  • - 11/13 sizes bigger than my size "0" best friend...


  • - someone whose mother had to keep snack foods from her.

Many of these words sent me into a lot of spiral of negative thoughts about my body...which in turn further perpetuated my eating disorder. I was what some would call a stereotypical eating disorder sufferer (an adolescent, white female who comes from a middle- to upper-class family.)

The truth is....eating disorders know no gender, ethnic, age or class lines, but there is some truth to the stereotype:

When I saw this mural on a little side street while walking in Brooklyn...I slung my camera at my Mom, and ran across the street yelling back, asking her to snap my picture. The moment I saw this -- I loved it!
It spoke to me....I loved it's artistic nuances....but also loved it for what it meant to me in this new place of my journey.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: