Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Journal: 6 days Post Op....

I really am doing great! Yesterday was a little surprising...b/c I actually was feeling some pain...(4 on a scale to 10 - not bad!) but, I'd say my pain has been very well controlled keeping it 1 or so up to then....just primarily soreness. I have a nice little set up...I have been "living" in a recliner a friend lent us (she had this surgery 2 yrs ago...and said it was awesome - and it is...) and I get up to move around as the doctor instructs...but I place my rear-end here most of the time...and sleep here too. Russ brings me his laptop, which I place on a pillow on my tummy as I recline...and browse the net - or write emails.

Isabella, my daughter, is with my Mother...and boy, do I miss her!! I don't miss all the activity that is required with a little one who will be 3 in a matter of months...but her sweet little voice on the phone doesn't help...just makes me miss her more! It is a week today since I really spent any time with her... ::::sigh::::

I meet with the hospital's nutritionist and post- bariatric surgery liaison tomorrow...and get my staples out at my Dr's apt. on Thursday. Hopefully I will then find out when I can lift "things" (my only want to lift is my sweet little 27# lumb of lovin into my lap...and squeeze her tight!)...and when I will start to feel less tired etc.

Russ and I did venture out to a movie last night....it was fun....but very tiring, even though I was taxi'd to the front door by Russ and we took every step very slow. We went to one with the VERY comfortable seats, and on the row where there is a railing in front, so I could put up my feet. I took a small pillow with me - it feels really good to press a pillow on my belly...esp. where my central left incision is. That is where I feel the pressure and soreness when I move around. We saw "Inside Man" with Denzel...and that cute Aussi....can't remember his name right now....and bit part w/ Jodi Foster. Loved it!

We also walked right in with a smoothie....this was a fun experience....we stopped at Smoothie King before we went to the theatre....and bought one 20 oz smoothie....asked the guy to pour off 6oz. in a kids cup for me...and Russ took the rest. I have a feeling we will spend the rest of our lives sharing whatever we buy "out!" It's going to be great for me....and Russ too, since all of our portions in the US are so huge anyway.

So....that is what is "UP" with me....my pain is reduced to just soreness when I'm on my meds....and I am able to spread out the dosage time now to double time. Eating is interesting...I am NEVER hungry...and am on a strick schedule of 8-10-12-2-5-8 by my doc for the next 2-3 weeks....all is liquid right now....and I have to get at least 50gms of protein a day to help speed along my recovery he say...I suspect it's also to keep me from getting malnurished. I know they have me drinking so often so I won't get dehydrated. I can only consume about 4-6 oz. ever half hour is this about right??This morning my hubbie, Russ, made me a 6 oz protein shake...and it took nearly an hour for me to finish it. I'm using ISOPURE protein mix...I like it b/c it's loaded with 25gms in one scoop! It makes me laugh, because a week ago, when I was still on liquids preparing for my surgery...I'd make a 12oz. protein shake and slurp it down in 5min. or less.....wow, what a difference!!Well...I'm going to take some time to sleep....I'm glad to be posting again...and FINALLY on the POST-op side of surgery

1 comment:

Pat said...

I'm responding to this very late. I know by this time that you have your Bella back and that you're progressing wonderfully. I'm glad you're keeping this journal, and proud of you that you're doing it publicly.
Love you!