Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pièce de Résistance: "The Inner Work"

If I could say anything to you about losing weight - I'd say, concentrate on the "inner work" that needs to be done. Asking yourself..."why do I struggle with ____________?" (fill in the blank with motivation...food....self-control) And start there.
If you don't do the INNER WORK first or at least - during...you will constantly be revisiting your 'diet'....or always trying to lose the "same 20#'s"...or MORE.
Honestly, for me, there are soooo many days when I don't feel 'motivated'....or I'm have a 'carb attack'...'sweet attack'....or think I feel constantly hungry. (none of which is healthy for me...emotionally or physically)
That is when I have to get 'REAL' with myself....and put some tools into action-
  • What's my consistent complaint? (like my eating or my weight)
  • What's my assessment?? (what's going on??)
  • What choices am I making? (acknowledging that I am in control - it is my choice or decision -good or bad- I'm not in a trance being 'pulled in' - it's not something that is just mysteriously 'happening TO ME')
  • What am I "getting out of it?" (It's easy to believe that the problem is my eating or my weight - but it's not....it's all about what I 'get out of it'....my pay off!)~ TO CONTROL...OR AVOID BEING CONTROLED
    ~ BEING RIGHT...
    ~ JUSTIFY MYSELF OR MY FEELINGS
    ~ AVOID LOOKING AT A DEEPER HURT OR PAIN
  • What is the cost? (When I am consciously or subconsciously getting something out of my complaint there is a cost....often several....here are some I experience.)~ LOSS OF SELF or SELF-EXPRESION
    ~ LOSS OF HEALTH or VITALITY
    ~ LOSS OF LOVE or CONNECTEDNESS
    ~ LOSS OF FULLFILMENT or SATISFACTION
Once I have been authentic with myself and can see the choice I'm making what I'm getting out of it...and then to determine what it's costing me...then an only then am I able to take it to God - otherwise - all I do is complain to Him...and feel sorry for myself...and like a victim! Using this process has been the main thing that has gotten me thru this journey. I often have to do these steps DAILY!
  • pièce de ré·sis·tance (pyĕs də rā-zē-stäNs') n., pl. -a French term, translated into English literally as "piece of resistance", referring to the best part or feature of something , a showpiece, or highlight. Literal translation of the phrase, however, fails to define it. The phrase gives the sense that the referred-to element is the defining essence of the whole, that part that makes it memorable or gives it its unique character. An outstanding accomplishment or the principal dish of a meal.
This process is imparative...You must walk this road - "Rue Pièce de Résistance"
Doing the INNER WORK is "the defining essence of the whole journey." Doing the INNER WORK is the "part that makes it memorable & gives your journey it's Unique Character!"

No comments: